Google AdWords, the most prominent flagship program and a well-known revenue model of Google, has been renamed and seen as “Google Ads”. The Mountain View based Google officially announced that the new name and other changes have gone live on 24th of July, 2018.
This main objective of this decision is to avoid confusion in customers about products and brands that have been integrated through acquisitions. The aim is to streamline Google’s paid advertising platforms such as AdWords, DoubleClick and Google Analytics 360 Suite, and DoubleClick for Publishers and DoubleClick Ad Exchange unified.
Significance of This Change for Marketers:
You can benefit from the following aspects of this reorganization
- Google Ads offers a new type of campaign called “Smart Campaign” specifically intended to benefit small businesses. It gives the flexibility to identify phone calls, store visits and purchases that are significant. The images, text and targeting would be optimized by Google Ads through machine learning to generate more leads.
- DoubleClick Digital Marketing and Google Analytics 360 are integrated together as the Google Marketing Platform. This central interface has a new Integration Center providing a way to access Google Tools. You are empowered to track and optimize your digital platforms. Moreover, it helps you to understand and react to customer experiences much quicker.
- Google Marketing Platform integrates DoubleClick Bid Manager, Campaign Manager, Studio and Audience Center in a new feature called Display and Video 360.
- Google’s monetization tools that include DoubleClick for Publishers and DoubleClick Ad Exchange is now seen as Google Ad Manager. This paves the way for the better management of programmatic ad content.
- Marketers will be able to access a new support community called Google Marketing Platform Partners that would substitute the existing Google Analytics Certified Partners and the DoubleClick Certified Marketing Partners programs.
How Does it Help Google?
Google has implemented many changes in AdWords right from the inception. It has adapted to new technologies and made humongous efforts to enhance advertising messages in Search Results where keywords are a part of the search query.
This change would enable Google
- To reinforce its brand message
- Simplify the company’s paid advertising platforms and
- Gain an edge over competitors
Changes in the UI:
You will get to see the new name “Google Ads” along with the logo in the product interface, Help Center, billing information and many other places. The URLs have changed. For instance, “adwords.google.com” changed to “ads.google.com” and “support.google.com/adwords” changed to “support.google.com/google-ads”. These changes will not have any impact on the performance of your campaigns or reporting.
While integration was a key factor behind these transformations, Google has been quietly incorporating Machine Learning to Google Ads. We expect Google to become more aggressive in using ML and Artificial Intelligence (AI) towards greater automation of Google Ads.